The governance of a Multi Academy Trust differs from those of maintained schools and The White Horse Federation (TWHF) genuinely believes that placing the statutory responsibilities firmly at the centre, in the remit of the Trustee Board, Local Board of Governance (LBG) become more effective in their focus to providing challenge and support in the delivery of educational excellence and to ensure the drive for outstanding outcomes for all pupils.
There are direct channels of communication between the Principal and the LBG Chair and Central Services. The Clerk to the Trustee Board will hold contact details for all members of LBGs within WHF however routine communication for day to day school business should come from the Chair of that LBG, managed by the school or through an LBG Clerk, if such a position is deemed necessary.
The Principal and the Chair of the LBG are responsible for ensuring the quality and timely distribution of all material needed to keep all LBG members well informed about the school and the WHF.The Principal and the Chair are also responsible for ensuring the views of the LBG are well communicated to the Trustee Board. This can be done via the elected Chairs representative on the Trustee Board. Senior Executives from the WHF will be nominated by the CEO to sit on an LBG. Trustees reserve the right to attend any LBG meeting.
The WHF has a very clear and shared understanding of what constitutes good and effective governance.Schools within the WHF will be judged to have outstanding governance when members of the LBG:
- Talk about teaching and learning.
- Know a great deal about the school and its community.
- Are ambitious for the school and its community.
- Ask questions which make colleagues reflect and that these discussions lead to delivering the very best outcomes for every child and adult within the school community.
- Maintain strong and effective relationships within TWHF.
- In order for the shared model of governance to be effective for the WHF and the schools, it is essential that there is effective communication between the Trustee Board, the LBGs, Chairs Groups, Principals, the Central team and the Executive Leadership Team